Now is the Time
The 2020 Advent Small Group Study is called “Now is the Time.” The series begins by re-imagining the Advent and Christmas stories in the time of COVID-19 and offers an opportunity for communities of faith to consider what possibilities are emerging in this time between pandemic and post-pandemic.
- When Mary Couldn’t Hug Elizabeth.
- When all Joseph Could Do was Dream.
- When Angels Couldn’t Sing.
- When Shepherds Were Sheltering in Place
- When Borders Where Closed.
In the second session, we consider the invitation of the new leader of The Iona Community, Ruth Harvey, offered in her June 2020 address to the Corrymeela Community exploring the question, “What does it mean to be an emergent community?” (Used with permission.)
In the third session, we speak with Laura Hunter, Regions East minister of Justice, Mission and Outreach about emergent justice and prayer and where she is seeing new ways to connect. As communities of faith we are challenged by Advent practices to explore the time of Now/Not Now and be the best version of who we are.
As we draw closer to the Mystery of Christmas, in the final session we use the Psalms and readings of Christmas to deepen our practice of reading the signs of the times and considering the emergent opportunities that are ours to explore as intentional communities of faith.
This resource will be adaptable for Zoom or in-person gatherings. While “Now is the Time” is written with process for small groups, it is also adaptable for personal use and meditation.
What You Receive in this Small Group Study
- This resource will be completed available for use by October 30. You can order it now and you will receive the Study weblink and password. This gives you early access as soon as I begin to add pieces to the webpage in early September.
- Leader’s Guide (includes the process for four sessions: Gathering, Opening, Check-in, Discussion Questions, and a Group Spiritual Practice.)
- Easily downloadable Audio Recordings AND Video Recordings with input for the sessions.
- Scripts of the Audio Recordings to download and photocopy.
- Downloadable image and customizable poster for the series. Social Media icon for promotion.
How Do Prayer Bench Small Group Studies Work?
When you register and pay, you receive an email with information to access a private webpage. You will find the Leader’s Guide and all the resources you need. Ready October 15.
You can pay using PayPal, Credit card, Email bank transfer, or cheque.
More questions? Visit: Frequently Asked Questions about Small Group Studies.
or Email Janice. A preview of Session 1 is available by request by October 15.
This Advent Small Group Study is included in the 2020 Subscriber Group package and details will be emailed to you by October 1.