This five-week Lent Small Group Study weaves the saga of Joseph with the journey of Jesus and invites our response to the themes raised. It is written by the Rev. Dr. Hugh Farquhar with process designed by Janice MacLean. This is an evocative bible reflection related to real life themes.
SESSION 1: The Seeds of Violence
Family dynamics that contributed to violence against Joseph
Human dynamics that contributed to violence against Jesus
How can we as Christians contribute to curbing violence in our society?
SESSION 2: When Grief Strikes
Jacob “mourned his son many days.”
Jesus wept over Jerusalem
How shall we carry our sorrows?
SESSION 3: A Question of Values
Joseph chose to live by his chosen values
Jesus, though tempted, chose to live out his values
What are our core values as followers of the Way?
SESSION 4: The Mud Puddles of Life
Joseph in prison
Jesus in the Garden
Where do we turn in life’s shadowed places?
SESSION 5: As we forgive those . . .
Joseph forgives his brothers
Jesus forgives on the cross
How do we live out that line in the Lord’s Prayer?
- Leader’s Guide (includes the process for five sessions: Ideas for creating space and Gathering, Opening, Check-in, Discussion questions, and a Group Spiritual Practice.
- Five audio recordings of the Joseph stories from the Book of Genesis and readings from the Gospel of Luke.
- Five short papers to download and photocopy offering content to be read aloud within each session.
- Five participant sheets to download and photocopy.
- Access to a Prayer Bench webpage with all the study materials, downloadable image for social media promotion, customizable poster for the series, and other resources related to the study.
- Liturgical Resources for those wanting to use the series as a Lent Worship Theme.
This is a downloadable resource. When you register and pay, you receive an email with information about accessing a private webpage. You will find the Leader’s Guide and all the resources you need.
More questions? Visit: Frequently Asked Questions about Small Group Studies.
or Email Janice. A preview of Session 1 is available by request
Guest Writer: The Rev. Dr. Hugh Farquhar
Hugh Farquhar is a minister in The United Church of Canada. He has served congregations in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and PEI. Currently he is Minister Emeritus at St. Paul’s United Church, Riverview, NB and teaches Biblical Studies at Atlantic School of Theology, Halifax, NS. He loves the Scriptures and is committed to transforming the written Word into the living Word of God for our time. He lives in Riverview with his spouse, Claudette Derdaele.