A Four Week Creation Email Retreat with Janice MacLean & Susan Sorensen.
Forty years ago Karl Rahner, a Jesuit priest and theologian, said that people of the future will need to be mystics or we won’t exist at all. A mystic is one who wakes up to the beauty and wonder of the Divine in all around us. Mystics see with clear vision and the Mystery opens their heart to the pain and joy of living.
In every age and culture, mystics have risen who honour Earth and celebrate this Wisdom in their work.
In this retreat we call on four Earth Mystics who, together, through their witness, writing, art, music and theology call us to deepen our awe, open our heart, listen deeply to Mystery, God beyond all forms and images, and discover what moves us to deep caring. This is creation spirituality. We visit with:
Hildegard of Bingen, the 12th century Christian saint, a healer, musician, visionary preacher, writer and Abbess. Her interests are contemporary: holistic living, care of the environment and nature spirituality.
Rumi, a 13th century Persian poet and Sufi mystic. Always desiring union with the Beloved, and daring us to see ourselves as beloved, his words and images call us to behold the Divine throughout the natural world.
Emily Carr, the West Coast Canadian painter and author, fascinated me as a young adult. I return to her work in this retreat to explore her deep connection with landscape and the sense of awe she found in nature.
Carolyn McDade, our still-living Earth Mystic is a songwriter and activist. She works with circles of women planting her songs and inspiring passion and persistence to continue the work of healing the earth.
Each email retreat will offer:
- a settling practice,
- a reflection on the life and work of the Earth Mystic using words, and sometimes photos, music, audio meditations, or art,
- questions for meditation or journalling, or prompts to explore creativity,
- an call to action and suggestions for spiritual practices you can try during the week,
- and a blessing prayer or affirmation.
You will receive:
- Four weekly email retreats beginning Saturday, September 13, 2015. You retreat at your own time, in your own space.
- Access to a private page on my website where you can share reflections, if you wish.
- A copy of the retreat to download and print so you can retreat away from your computer.
The cost of this Email Retreat is $20.
If you can receive email you have all the technological know-how you need for this retreat!