What’s really going on in us when we feel gratitude for that beautiful sunset or magnificent starry sky? How might we participate as co-creators of meaningful earth community and learn to “relish our radiant universe”? In what ways can we deepen our earth care? What are the truths that support us in times of natural disasters? How do we creatures say Thanks?
Drawing on wisdom readings and creation scriptures, I’m designing a retreat series that invites a deeper spiritual practice of gratitude and highlights teachings about being part of a meaningful earth community.
Each retreat in the series begins with an opening drawn from contemporary wisdom, a scripture reading, a reflection, questions for journalling and daily prompts for gratitude. There are also suggestions for spiritual practice, a blessing and supplemental resources to explore.
Here’s What You Receive:
- A Welcome Email on September 12th which helps you prepare to receive your first retreat.
- Four Email Retreats the next four Saturdays.
- Within your retreat is a button where you can download and print your retreat.
Ways to Use Your Retreat Series
- Some people set aside a time to retreat once a week for an hour or more reflection, others use some of the retreat each day for the week.
- Some people use some of the retreat suggestions in addition to their regular
- Some worship leaders shape worship for the Season of Creation around the themes of the retreat.
- Some group leaders use ideas from the series for Autumn meetings, retreats or wellness gatherings.
Preparing for the Earth Gratitude Series
You asked for book recommendations. Here are three books I’m reading in preparation for these series. Make it your summer reading (or winter for our Australian and New Zealand Prayer Bench friends!) Your reading will enhance your retreat but it is not necessary to read any of the books to benefit from the retreat series.
Diane Bulter Bass, Grateful: The Transformative Power of Giving Thanks.
Robin Wall Kimmerer, Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants.
Mary Oliver, Devotions, The Selected Poems of Mary Oliver.
Please note: All Prayer Bench Yearly Subscribers (2018) will receive this retreat as part of your package. You do not need to order it.
To learn more about how Prayer Bench Email Retreat Series work, and see a sample retreat, you might want to read this post. About Email Retreats.
You can share this retreat with a friend by “gifting this product” when you order. Read more here: How to Send a Gift Card.
Photo Credit: With thanks to Laurie Gunn. Visit her website for more photographs.
There are no reviews yet.