Using the Advent words “longing” and “belonging,” this resource offers a challenge to examine the desire to belong, the struggle of creating belonging, and offers an opportunity to create a circle of belonging by hosting an Advent gathering.
There are two parts to this resource. The Study begins with outlining the process for two sessions that explore the theme of BeLonging. The first session is called “The Search for Belonging” and the second session is titled, “Belonging in an Incomplete World.” Two audio recordings offer input from the Rev. Donna Tourneur who shares stories from her being with L’Arche Canada and representing L’Arche Canada internationally.
The second part offers a resource called Take It Outside. While the first two session may be presented as a more “traditional” Advent Study, this is a resource to put in the hands of people who are willing to invite a few friends from the church/neighbourhood to their house for a simple Advent gathering. We practice belonging by offering space for conversation and reflection.
It is hoped the Take It Outside resource will gather people who don’t “normally” attend small group studies to experience the theme of belonging in practical way. Take It Outside may be used with all ages.
This multi-use resource can easily be adapted to use with Boards/Councils to discuss longing and belonging in a community of faith.What You Receive in this Small Group Study
- Leader’s Guide (includes the process for two sessions: Gathering, Opening, Check-in, Discussion questions, and a Group Spiritual Practice.)
- Two easily downloadable Audio Recordings with input for two sessions.
- Scripts of the Audio Recordings to download and photocopy
- Suggestion for a third session preparing hosts for small gatherings.
- “Take it Outside” – a resource to use when hosting a gathering of friends, neighbours, children, youth or folk from the community of faith who might not attend a study group but enjoy an Advent gathering.
- Downloadable image and customizable poster for the series. Social Media icon for promotion.
When you register and pay, you receive an email with information to access a private webpage. You will find the Leader’s Guide and all the resources you need.
More questions? Visit: Frequently Asked Questions about Small Group Studies.
or Email Janice. A preview of Session 1 is available by request.
The Rev. Donna Tourneur, Prayer Bench Guest
I’m grateful to Donna for being willing to sit down with me and share stories and insights about her experience with L’Arche Cape Breton and as a representative with L’Arche International.
L’Arche is an international movement creating communities of friendship and belonging for people with and without intellectual disabilities.
Donna has roots in Pictou County, Nova Scotia. She is a pastoral minister presently serving with Trinity United Church in New Glasgow. Thank you, Donna, for your rich sharing in this small group study.