I love the story of Pinnochio, the wooden puppet carved by Geppetto. Geppetto wished upon a star and the freshly-carved wooden puppet becomes a real boy. He woke up. No strings attached.
Waking up, and staying awake, is an Advent invitation. More than ever, our world needs people who are willing to live from an awakened heart and practice Love in their corner of the world.
Pinnochio had Jiminy Cricket as a faithful conscience who showed him the way.
We look to Jesus, our wisdom teacher, who invites us on a path of transformation. We become real — and whole.
We explore four sayings from the Gospel of Thomas, an ancient Christian text, that invite us to wake up and stay awake. We spend time with four carols that call us into a deeper experience of the Mystery of Christmas.
So let’s wake up, stretch ourselves, make a wish upon a star, and get ready to greet the radiant dawn of Christmas Day. Let Advent begin.
- Your retreat series arrives by email. Each retreat offers an opening, a brief meditation, questions for reflection and a spiritual practice.
- You receive a Welcome Email on November 28th which helps you prepare to receive your first retreat.
- Your receive four Email Retreats on the next four Saturdays.
- Too busy to keep up? Within your retreat is a button where you can download, save and print your retreat for a quiet time.
- Some people set aside a time to retreat once a week for an hour or more reflection, others use some of the retreat each day for the week.
- Some people use some of the retreat suggestions in addition to their regular
- Some worship leaders shape worship for Advent around the themes of the retreat.
- Some group leaders use ideas from the series for worship, meetings, retreats or wellness gatherings.